Saturday, March 29, 2014

#Hashtag

I found the articles about hashtags to be quite interesting.  I had never really thought about the purpose or meaning of hashtags before reading those articles.  I do not have a twitter account, except for this class, and I have never used a hashtag before, so that is probably why I found the articles to be so interesting.

The article about #Sandy seemed to have good intentions, and from what they said in the article, it seemed that the hashtag was quite useful.  I thought it was a good idea to use the hashtag for that purpose and to help people easily track and follow updates on Sandy relief efforts.  On the other hand, I found the second article, about the purpose of hashtags, to have a very different view.  They seemed to think that hashtags are getting out of hand, do not serve much of a purpose, and that users could be using their 140 characters in more purposeful ways.

From my experience with hashtags, I usually find them to be humorous, and used to exaggerate situations or photos.  Although it seems hashtags can be used for good and bad things, I feel that they do more harm than good.  The second article gave good examples of hashtags that had good intentions, but were used for bad things.  I could have this opinion on them because I do not use them and do not have a twitter account to see all of the good things they could be used for, but overall, I, also, feel that people could be using their characters in more purposeful ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment